Dark fiber is unused optical fiber that has been laid but is not currently being used by a network service provider. It gives clients unlimited bandwidth with complete control of their network. Metro dark fiber is another component that allows end users to utilize last mile and interconnectivity between datacenters using least cost routing reducing expense while increasing reliability, security, and redundancy.
Why choose Dark Fiber?
- Large organizations with advanced networking needs and in-house IT for easier network management.
- Unlimited bandwidth and high-speed connections, with the highest levels of security, disaster recovery and backup.
- Financial services companies that need unlimited bandwidth and complete control in order to collaborate in real time and execute transactions instantaneously—with total reliability.
- Flexibility: Design your network to support the configurations, services and applications you need since you’ll light the network with your own equipment.
- Security: Get maximum security with private physical network infrastructure on your own dedicated strands of fiber.
- Control: Select the equipment that’s best suited for your applications while utilizing your in-house optical expertise to manage your network—it’s all under your control.
- Scalability: Scale your network to virtually any bandwidth without the need for costly and disruptive upgrades.
- Superior and predictable performance: Dark Fiber is provisioned over defined and fixed fiber routes for consistent performance.
- Performance guarantees: Zayo’s Dark Fiber performance standards are based on stringent customer loss budget requirements, backed by our SLAs.
- Flexible configuration choices: Zayo can connect two locations with a point-to-point dark fiber offering, or multiple locations in a hub-and-spoke or ringed network configuration.
- Room to grow: Since you provide your own equipment, bandwidth growth is in your full control. Dark Fiber offers virtually unlimited bandwidth.
- Security: Dedicated point-to-point fiber over a defined physical path is transparent to higher-level protocols and provides the ultimate security control over your data assets.
- Protection against outage: Zayo’s 15 million miles of fiber can offer diverse fiber routing, often over fiber routes unique to Zayo.
- Geographic breadth: Zayo offers Dark Fiber throughout our fiber network — within each metro market and on the long haul routes connecting them.